Unfortunately... To begin the weaning process :( wahhhhhh! I'm thinking of waiting another month since Luke will be a year next month... Double wahhhhhh!! Is there a big rock that I can crawl under?! A place where I can go to nurse Luke for at least another year? Where I don't have to work out-in-the-field? Because yeah, pumping in my car, in-between appointments and the daily craziness that this job brings just isn't working. So, I need your advice please... Where do I start? How long, about, will the weaning process take? I haven't done any research yet but that's next on my list. Here's a little background info: I currently nurse Luke in the morning, after work, and to bed every night. He will NOT take a bottle and getting him to drink two, 4 oz sippy cups a day is already such a hassle for my mom and mil. I decided to wait until he's a year to start the process, though it seems right around the corner (i can't believe my baby boy is going to be a year old!! did I say that already?! lol).
Please please please share your tips, tricks, trials, anything you can on the subject. I'm sure you guys are far more expert than anything I can read in a book or online!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I'm a wife to the most kind and loving husband ever, a mother to two of the most beautiful baby boys you'll ever meet (Lucas, DOB 8/29/09 and Logan, DOB 12/20/11), a children's social worker by day and a photographer by night (more like, weekend). I love to bake and only cook because we need to eat. If I relied on my dear hubby to cook for us, we'd be eating bean and cheese burritos or quesadillas for dinner every night! There are so many things that I love, but most importantly, I love being a wife and mother and this is the place where I can document our life, mostly in photographs, today.
I know how you feel, girl! I weaned Gianna at 8 months & felt terrible, but I applaud you for going the full year!
ReplyDeleteI suggest cutting out 1 feeding per day... DO NOT GO COLD TURKEY. Honestly, taking out 1 feeding per day was PAINFUL. I don't know how people just stop all together without doing it slowly. I cut out 1 feeding, then 2, & so on until all I had left was the nightly feeding. Then one night I just replaced that one with a bottle too & she was totally fine with it.
And I got 2 clogged ducts during the weaning process & I recommend cold cabbage leaves if that happens to you. I know it sounds weird, but I swear it worked within a few hours of using it!
Good luck! I know it can be so emotional to stop BFing!!!
I forgot to add that the weaning process took about a month for me. I started at a little over 7 months with cutting out one feeding & by 8 months & a week she was completely weaned of the boob. And after cutting out the last feeding my boobs were back to their normal size in about 1-2 weeks. In case you were interested!
ReplyDeletethanks for the suggestions Mrs.F! i was totally thinking of you when i wrote this and hoping you would comment! and yeah, there's no way i'd ever wean cold turkey, heck no, i can't even go 5 hours w/o being in tremendous pain. i don't even think i can easily just cut out one feeding.. i'm wondering if cutting SHORT both day-pumping sessions would work? but then i'm scared about the weekends (when i EBF)?! see, this is why i need your guys' help. maybe cutting out one session complete IS the way to go?! anyway, thanks for the info and i'll definitely keep the cabbage leaves in mind ;)
ReplyDeleteI am in the same position... we started weaning this week :( Naomi is so into her solids that she has slowly started the process on her own. First she dropped her dinner feeding when we would get home. Now she is refusing one of her feedings that she does at the sitter. I was pumping 2 times a day at work. I am going to drop one feeding a week. So it should take me about a month. I did buy formula this weekend (it felt so weird and I just didn't like it, but I knew it wasn't as bad as I was making it out to be). But Naomi isn't picky and will drink the formula and she doesn't mind.
ReplyDeleteI hope things go well for you :)
Our journey has begun!… secretly though
ReplyDeleteIf I’ve left you this message, you’re a follower of my original blog ~OR~ just someone I’ve happened upon while sending out these invites and that I would LOVE for to come along for the ride! Though I won’t be revealing who I am just yet – until we’re TO and THROUGH the first trimester! Just getting the word out about our new site – further explanation of all the secrecy and what we’re about on my first post. I’d love for you to stop by.
Exciting things going on around here!
www.definitelymaybebaby.com
~ the {secret} *Maybe* Baby Mama
Hi, I am a new follower. Luke is adorable! Sorry I know nothing about weaning so no advice from me! GL with it. Hopefully it is a smooth transition!
ReplyDelete